Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Happy Birthday Honduran style

This is the first year that I have celebrated a birthday away from family and friends. Ken and I enjoyed our day however relaxing and hanging around the house. We both woke up feeling a bit under the weather, I guess the stomach bugs have already gotten to us, but we were able to get out of the house for a little bit today and stop by my school and the grocery store. My superintendent and her husband ended up taking us out to dinner tonight which was a nice treat and we had some great conversations. They were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. Ken also made a great double chocolate cake for me so it was nice to be able to have that taste of home today as well. We found out today that this summer has been the hottest summer in years reaching over the 90s numerous times. I think Chicago is still warmer though so it hasn't been too bad. There was a great breeze today that went all through the house and because of it, we didn't even need the air conditioner. It felt so good and was great weather to nap in. I figure I better get my naps in before work starts next week. We saw how the streets flood as well when we get some heavy rain yesterday. Ken and I were actually in the grocery store when it started and we both thought that it was the noise from the "rainforest" in the fruits and vegetable section like we have in the states. We found out soon enough however that it was actually down pouring outside!! What a nice surprise though and the water felt good with the heat. It will definitely be a trip to bike ride to school when it rains seeing as how many of the streets flood with little rain. I think I'll definitely be sporting my rain boots.

1 comment: