Thursday, September 30, 2010

A True Honduran Rain Storm

Here we are on a Thursday night after a long week and here's what we got....

It started raining at 12:00 today and it hasn't let up since. I don't mean just any rain either. I mean pouring down, torrential rainfall! I was working at school grading papers and updating the gradebook thinking that the weather was going to let up like it usually does but not today. Ken ended up calling me asking me where I was because his bus was really late and the roads were beginning to flood really bad. Here in La Ceiba, the roads flood with the littlest amount of rain so I knew that it must be getting really bad out.

I ended up staying a bit longer to finish some things up and got another call from Ken saying I mine as well get wet because the roads were really bad and I might not find a taxi. He figured I should just ride my bike home. Luckily I had my workout clothes and changed into them, laced up my gym shoes, and headed out into the storm. Ken was right; there were hardly any cars on the road because they were so flooded and most people were just taking cover under awnings. After a long days work, I enjoyed getting soaked to the core even though it was hard to see at times. At points the water was up to my knees while I was on my bike and it was incredibly hard to peddle. It was so worth it though! I was able to make it home safe and sound too.

From now on though, I"ll be known as that "crazy, bike-riding, gringa" because EVERYONE was staring at me as I went by :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good workout - underwater cycling!
    -kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a site, Erika, you must have been pedaling through all that water! You need a kayak, not a bike!!

    ReplyDelete