Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas?

Erika and I are sitting around under blankets, drinking hot chocolate. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas here in Honduras. The sky is overcast, rain has been falling all day and into the night, and it has been very chilly indeed. I even had to wear my coat all day so that I didn't catch a cold. It's too late for Erika. What is this, cold number 9 for her this year?!?
It's been a bleak day with a low of 66 degrees. That's right 66! And we are cold! I don't know what's going to happen to us when we get off that airplane at O'Hare!

Man, I love Marshmallows in my hot chocolate.
Ceiba has been decorating the city with all sorts of things; stars, christmas trees, lights, figurines of Santa and Jesus. It is like any city in America would decorate their city - But no snow! I can't get over that. It just looks wrong to have a light-up Santa in full regalia, hat, coat, boots and all, but with no snow! Why would Santa wear all that when he comes to Honduras? I want my Honduran Santa to wear beach shorts, shades, and let his big belly hang out with a nice coating of sunscreen covering his nose. Before I leave for home I have to remember to leave out a baleada and some rum for him.
I'm excited to go back home for the break. But I'm glad I get to come back to this paradise afterward. I have to admit, a large part of me is actually looking forward to singing "Silent Night" as we light candles at the Christmas Eve church service.

3 comments:

  1. "Very chilly indeed"???! Indeed?!
    You're going to turn into an icicle when you get IL!
    -kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite parts of Christmas too! We'll have to try and coordinate so me, you and Graham are all at the same service! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm concerned that when you and Erika hit the Midwestern cold you are going to pass out, just like the chicken story your dad tells us all the time..if you dont remember, I'm sure he will be happy to tell you again.
    So, I guess I need to put hot chocolate and marshmellows on my grocery list.
    See you soon, MOM

    ReplyDelete