Saturday, August 14, 2010

I received my first apple.

What a first week it has been! I don't think I could have asked for it to go any smoother and I had such a great time getting to know my kids. Each one has such a different personality and I love being able to ask them questions and working with them so they can let that shine through.

Thursday I had the technology supervisor in my room for almost the entire day because the computers at school are so slow and he was working on defragging it as well as setting up my new email. I continued doing what I had been doing all week and didn't really think much about it. We had our morning meeting, he kids completed a reading comprehension test at their seats while I administered a reading fluency assessment, they went to library, music, etc. It was a normal day for us all but when the kids were dismissed for lunch I went to my desk to get a few things and the technology supervisor said, "CONGRATULATIONS!" I smiled and asked what for. He went onto explain how he really enjoyed how I was running my class, giving directions, talking with my students, and I how I was handling behavior issues. I was shocked to hear it and of course said thank you with the biggest smile on my face! I had only been teaching for 4 days at this point and somehow had already seen such a positive in my room. It was such a great feeling and it gave me a confident boost to continue doing what I'm doing.

On Friday, as I stood at the door and shook each of my students hands and said, "Good Morning," one of my students gave me an apple. Ha! I received my first apple as a teacher and it was the perfect day for it because I had forgotten my lunch and was going to need a snack that day. What a first week it has been. :)

Ken's first week went well also. He understand a few things doing his Spanish orientation and got his lesson plans done before I did so I can already tell he's going to be a great teacher! His US History class was given to someone else so his course load is a bit better now and there is not as much he needs to worry about. He has written his introduction letter, made his syllabus, and already planned for 2 projects and a quiz in the first few weeks. Being in Mr. Haltenhof's class is not going to be easy but the students will thank him later for it...I just know it!

The other piece of good news is that WE RECEIVED OUR THINGS!!!! Honduran customs finally cleared our shipment and our furniture and boxes were delivered Thursday afternoon. We have started unpacking things and moving furniture around and hopefully by tomorrow evening our house will look more like a house again. We are so excited to start putting things away and hanging OUR things on the wall to really make it OUR place. We definitely do have a lot :) but it feels good to have my things and I know Ken feels the same. Maybe we didn't need all 8 wine glasses though!

3 comments:

  1. Good Week! Congratulations on the Apple! Sounds like Ken is getting along nicely without any Spanish! Now you have your"things" ..where will you put it all??

    ReplyDelete
  2. One question...

    Is it a DOLE apple??????


    -kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha no it wasn't a Dole apple...I don't think Dole grows apples...but it was delicious anyways.

    ReplyDelete