Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Futbol: the most important sport in Honduras

Over the past 2 months, I have dedicated 3 days a week to coaching soccer to the 1st-6th graders at Mazapan. I teamed up with Luke, the high school social studies teacher, to coach these hooligans and to try and teach them a thing or two about soccer. We did a lot of "survivor" to help with dribbling and ball control, passes, headers, shooting, and of course lots of scrimmaging (the kid's favorite part). It was fun to hang out with the kids outside the classroom however I continued thinking to myself how Coach Rehor did this for so many years! There were so many times where I questioned what I should do next just because we had done the same activities over and over. Coaching is always a lot more sobering than I think it will be.

Anyways, as a way to finish the soccer season, we had a game against one of the other bilingual schools in La Ceiba. The 1st-3rd graders played first and then the 4th-6th graders played second. The games went well and the kids had a lot of fun even though we lost both games. Some of the kids from the other schools were ENORMOUS too, there was no way they could be in those grades I swear. Some of them were almost as tall as me! They definitely had skill too but our team was able to keep up with them. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what our games looked like.


Warm up and stretch - don't wan to hurt anything!


One of my littlest/cutest kids!! His uniform was wayyyy to big!


Big kids getting psyched


Team meeting - here's the game plan - HAVE FUN! :)


Look at 'em go!


FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!


WE SCORED!!! Look how happy they are :)


De - fense!


Team photo (1st - 3rd grade)


Coach Luke getting them pumped


One of my 4th graders rockin' it


Be aggressive!


Good sportsmanship - "Good game, Good game"


Look at how tall one of those boys is....??? Really??


Team photo (4th - 6th grade)


Both school's teams

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, it is awesome to see how I was many many years ago. Cool!!

    ReplyDelete