Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sunday Cooking #5

I ended up cooking a lot this Sunday...I don't know where all the energy came from since I had been out the night before for St. Patrick's Day! I woke up (incredibly early) and feeling great and since Ken was still passed out I decided to make some homemade Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread and a Baked Oatmeal dish for breakfast. Then I thought, well I'm this far I mine as well plan dinner, so I made a crockpot chili that simmered all day (to perfection I might add).

Here are the recipes for those who are interested (I've put the original websites from where I found the recipes but I've tweaked each one to fit my needs and likes):

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread
(http://theslowroasteditalian.blogspot.com/2012/02/honey-wheat-oatmeal-bread.html)

The great thing about this recipe is that you can do it all by hand. I don't have a big mixer so I just stirred everything with a wooden spoon and then kneaded the dough out on the counter.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast 

1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons butter
2 1/4 cups warm water (110-120 degrees)
1 tablespoon salt
2 3/4 cups unbleached bread flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, divided

Directions:
1. Melt butter and honey in microwave until butter is melted.
2. Add melted butter to a large mixing bowl and add the warm water (it should be luke warm - if its too warm it'll kill the yeast)
3. Add the yeast to the mixture and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl combine the salt, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, and 1 cup of regular flour. Add it to the yeast mixture slowly until the liquid is absorbed. Don't forget to scrape the sides of teh bowl!
5. Add the egg and one cup of whole wheat flour and mix until the egg is completely mixed in. 
6. Add the oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 cup regular flour. Mix until the dough is elastic. (This is where I began to knead the dough because thats the best way for me to test its elasticity. Add more flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter.)
7. Put 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave and melt it then spread it around a big bowl. Place the dough in the bowl for 1 hour to let it rise. (It should be doubled in size.)
8. Punch the dough down and then cover it with the bowl for an additional 15 minutes. 
9. Cut the dough in half and shape it to the well greased bread pans. Let it sit for another hour to let it rise.
10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and then bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Let cool fully on oven racks and then enjoy! :)



Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries, Bananas, and Chocolate Chips (Oh my!)
(http://www.inspiredtaste.net/9928/baked-oatmeal-with-strawberries-banana-and-chocolate-recipe/)

You can substitute really anything you like into this recipe so if you want different fruits or no chocolate (who would want that!) or walnuts instead of almonds...all is well :)

Ingredients: 
  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup almond pieces, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
Directions:
  1. 1. Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
  2. 2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the almonds, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, almonds and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal). 
  3. 3. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
  4. 4. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shimmy/shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
  5. 5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then place back in the oven under the broiler and broil for 20-30 seconds. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of sugar or drizzle of maple syrup.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!

The recipe for the crock-pot chili is pretty straight forward and can be found here:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooked-chili/detail.aspx

I'm also attempting something very different for the next 2 weeks. I planned out all of our dinners and went grocery shopping (strict shopping that is since I have the habit of not sticking to my list and getting whatever looks good...this usually results in foods that don't mix well for meals!) for everything that I would need. I've read on lots of different websites people doing this and it turning out to be a lot easier for them during the week with work and it saves them money in the long run since they are only buying what they need at the time. Tonight I am attempting a roasted vegetable tart and a small salad...oh and did I mention I'm trying to cook a big healthier too...except for the BLT's we ate last night because who can resist bacon!

Enjoy your week and I hope you try some new recipes yourself soon :) You've got to keep it adventurous in the kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment