Friday, February 10, 2012

Rio Pico Bonito

Last weekend, Ken had to work all day on Saturday at the Santa Teresa Festival that his school holds each year as a fundraiser. Instead of me being a bum all day, a bunch of our friends and I decided to head out to a new river and relax for the day. Our usual hang out spots of Rio Maria and Rio Congrejal have been getting used more which means there is a lot more trash and vandalism. It obviously doesn't make it as relaxing when there is garbage and graffiti all around you.

Last year, Jesse and Brian went backpacking and camping on Pico Bonito Mountain and Rio Bonito follows the trail for some of the way. Since Jesse remembered where it was, he was our guide and led us on an hour hike through the Honduran countryside to the river. At one point, the trail disappeared and we were going through the jungle...I was waiting for a bob cat to come out at me. I think we were way to loud for that to happen but either way it was a bit scary.


The girls taking the lead.


Pico Bonito Mountain


The trail


Beautiful.


We finally made it to the river!


Peaceful


The girls


Jenna, Jessie, and me


Once we arrived at the river, we were sweaty and extremely hot so we immediately jumped in to the icy, cold water. It took a few minutes for my body to adjust. Then it felt amazing. The water was crystal clear and there was absolutely no one around us. It was awesome! We swam for a bit before unpacking our backpacks and having lunch (tortillas with beans, cheese, and salsa and some trail mix). After about two hours of hanging out we made the trek back to the car. Although its a bit far from town to get to on your own it was a great experience and one that I hope happens again before we leave. I guess my excuse to go again is that Ken still has to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment