Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Dinner #1

Hello all! I've decided that I'm going to try something new. For awhile now, I've been wanting to blog about food and the different things I cook and make. Instead of starting a new blog for this, I figured why not try making a weekly post on Sundays with whatever I made that night for dinner. Sundays are great for me since I've got all day to relax and then brainstorm a creative meal. I usually try my new recipes on Sundays too with all of the time I have (plus if I mess up I can always whip up something else pretty easily). So here it goes...

SUNDAY DINNER #1: Butternut Squash Soup with Salad and Italian Cheese Bread

Ken and I have been consciously trying to eat a bit healthier over the past few weeks so I've been on the search for meals full of flavor that don't have heavy cream or other fatty things. I found this butternut squash soup recipe on www.eatingwell.com (through pinterest.com...I'm obsessed!) and it's full of vegetables and fresh ingredients. If those of you follow calories too there's only 60 calories per serving. I tweaked the recipe for me since I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand but this is basically it...

1. Sautee onions and carrots in oil until tender.
2. Add tomatoes, squash (after its been pre-cooked in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350), 1 tsp. cumin, 1/4 cayenne pepper, pepper, and 6 cups chicken broth.
3. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until everything is cooked all the way through.
4. Blend the soup in the blender and add a spoon of plain yogurt if you'd like!


For the salad, I decided to do a salad bar style layout so Ken and I could make our own salads. I put on a plate cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, avocados, and some black beans and corn (whatever you have in your fridge and what you like on your salads of course!). I had some walnuts on the side and of course our favorite dressings (ranch for Ken!). 


As for the Italian Cheese Bread...I haven't found an easier homemade bread recipe yet. It didn't need a lot of time to rise either so this made it quick and easy.

1. Mix in a bowl 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sugar, and 1 tbsp. quick-rise yeast. Add 1 cup warm water and 1 tbsp. of oil. Mix until you get a dough like substance.
2. Knead the dough until it becomes elastic and then set aside for 20 minutes in an oiled bowl covered with a towel to let rise.
3. After about 20 minutes (I waited 30 minutes and no harm done), punch the dough down and spread out on a greased pizza pan or cookie dough sheet in a 12 in. circle.
4. Spread 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing over it and then sprinkle with oregano, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
5. Cook at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.


It went great with the soup and salad and had lots of flavor. Out of the three different things made this was of course the least healthy but it is completely homemade which to me is important since I know exactly what's going into my body.

I hope you enjoy it if you end up trying anything and if you have any questions let me know!


Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, I thought I'd share with you the valentine's that I made for my students this year. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! The hearts for my kids say "You make our class Sparkle!"


1 comment:

  1. Getting caught up with the blog tonight- so this is a pre warning for all my comments!

    Dinner looks so good! You are inspiring me with your soup...might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete