Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Dinner #2

So I actually made this dinner Friday night instead of tonight since we had some dinner guests over. I'm posting it a little late, but it's better late then never.

Ken and I wanted to make something that was going to be easy since we both worked all day Friday so I found a great BBQ pulled pork recipe for the crock pot. I used a 3 pound pork loin (since that was the only pork they had at the super market!) and rubbed salt, pepper, and garlic powder on it. I made some holes in it on both sides using a fork before putting it in the crock pot. I then filled the crock pot with one 12 oz can of root beer and then cooked it for 10 hours. When I returned from work, I drained the crock pot and shred the meat which was so tender and juicy. Then I mixed 18 oz of BBQ Sauce (we used Maull's of course) and cooked it another hour. It was ready to go quick and simple!

39948.jpg
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

As for the sides we cooked corn on the cob, fresh green beans, and we made a homemade potato salad (thanks to my Grandma Therese for the recipe)! Here's how to do it:

1. Peel 4-5 potatoes and boil them until they are tender.
2. Let cool and then cut them into cubes.
3. Cut up a small onion, about a cup of celery, and 4 hard boiled eggs.
4. Add all of these ingredients to a bowl.
5. Heat up 3/4 cup mayonnaise until its warm and pour over the other ingredients. 
6. Add salt, pepper, and mustard to your liking.

Main.aspx.jpg

We of course had some potato chips to go with our delicious BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and a glass of wine...or two...or three.

To top it all off, I made homemade apple pies inside the apples! I found this great recipe online using pinterest and it was so much easier than I thought it would have been.

1. Cut the top off of 4-5 large green apples.
2. Scoop out the insides being careful not to puncture the sides.
3. Then peel and cut 2 more apples into small pieces. Mix this with 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar, and a tsp. of cinnamon.
4. Spoon this mixture back into the apples.
5. Cover with homemade/store bought pie crust and put into an 8 x 8 pan with just enough water to cover the bottom.
6. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes covered with foil.
7. Bake another 25 minutes without foil or until the crust is golden brown.

Apple-Pie-1.jpeg

http://domesticdilettante.com/2012/01/11/applepie/

Vanilla ice cream on the side makes it delectable! Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm for some reason the pics aren't showing up on my computer-but it sounds absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete